washing you…quenching you…flooding you!
- Eyeliner – adding just one drop of water and shaking it extends the life and makes it much easier to apply. Taking a bit of God’s truth and agitating it around in your life (kinda like Him teaching you the same thing over and over – shaking you up!) will help you to apply it to your life in the future and make things easier to handle next time around.
- Liquid soap – adding drops of water to my liquid soap also extends the number of times I am able to “call on it” to cleanse my hands. Jesus’ blood cleanses us once and for all from unrighteousness. His river of life continuously washes over me. I must often call on Him for help, for it’s only by His strength that I can do any good work. 1 John 5:1-15.
- Tender new plant – just one little drop of water on the dirt near the root is just enough to moisten it and not damage it by flooding the area. The Lord has allowed me to begin developing a friendship with an old woman who walks my subdivision. She gave me tiny cherry tree plants that had seeded and rooted in her yard from her own tree. Little seeds dropped from her tree and began producing seedlings. Watering your life with remembering His commandments and teachings will nurture long life. Proverbs 3:1-2
- Tooth paste from around my lips – after brushing my teeth and getting ready for work, I looked into the mirror and realized that I had white residue around my lips. I had not wiped all of the paste off. One little drop of water on my finger and applying it to my face relieved me of a potential embarrassing moment. Keep a watch on my lips, O Lord. Psalm 141:3.
- Lazarus and the rich man – certainly, all of the thoughts about what just one drop can do, made me think about this story from the Book of Luke. Quench me, if only for a moment, from these tormenting flames! Luke 16: 19-31
- A drop can drastically change substance – I am reminded of a joke I used to tell and then changed it into a spiritual object lesson when teaching kids about the cleansing blood of Jesus. I would place a large amount of black pepper into a bowl of water, which represented sin. When I added just one drop of soap to the water, the pepper quickly repelled to the edges. The soap caused the pepper to flee! Another example of a drop drastically changing a substance, is red food coloring. It only takes a drop to see a change!
- Merthiolate or Mercurochrome, better know as Monkey’s Blood in my house. Just one little drop of that stuff would help heal my boo-boos! The sting was often worse than the wound, but blowing on it seemed to help the sting go away…and oh what a stain it left on my skin! Sometimes when the heart is wounded or discouraged, the voice of the Holy Spirit may sting and burn but the breath of His words blow and relieves the pain and encourages us. The stain that is left is as a memory of the goodness of God soothing the soul. John 14:26
- Eye drops – adding a drop can greatly reduce irritability and clear your vision! Fix your eyes on the pages of God’s word. Read them daily – it will help with irritability and make your path clearer. Romans 15:4 Psalm 199:105 Fix your eyes on Jesus…He is the perfecter of your faith. Hebrews 12:2
- Eardrops – help to break down the barrier or build up that cause your hearing to be impeded. Listen for the voice of God! Listen to the voice of God! He speaks to us in various ways: through others, circumstance, His word, the Holy Spirit, creation, music… I got a miraculous message from the Lord this week, straight through the speaker on my laptop. No apps open and bluetooth turned off! I was startled by the occurrence but the message brought peace and encouragement. Glad I was listening! These words are recorded many times throughout scripture, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.” Mark 4:6 and Luke 8:18 tells us to be careful how we listen!
- One drop can reduce the surface tension – Teaching science, teachers will sometimes use the experiment of paperclips floating on water to demonstrate water tension. Just a drop of soap will break the tension and the paperclips will sink. I think of surface tension as a thick layer that we lay to keep things from reaching our inner most being. Sometimes it becomes really hard and difficult to break through. One drop or act of loving-kindness and tenderness can break through and like a drop of Aloe Vera balm on a pained area, quickly saturate and begin the process of healing. Ephesians 4:2, 32 and Luke 6:38
- One drop to your knees – it only takes one drop to your knees with fervent prayer to bring about change. James 5:16
Once a drop is released, it cannot be withheld. It falls with full force and power.
Whether a drop is intentional or free falling, the impact is wide spread.
More drops in a centralized area cause filling.
Many drops combined cause greater effect.
Drops always rebound upward.
Droplets divide and merge (grow) depending on conditions and direction.
Reacts or responds willingly
I encourage you this week to keep the word “drop” on your mind. If you are so inclined, and have time, do a little research on water droplets. You just may be showered with more spiritual truths and can add to my list! Look for ways that God drops things on your mind, in your heart, and along your path. Share those things with others. Sharing is a form of reassurance and inspiration for other believers. We are commanded to do so. Likewise, seek opportunities to drop words of encouragement, prayers, and blessings into the lives of others…whether you think they need it or not!
Finally, drop to your knees…release control and depend on God, react and respond willingly, be obedient to every request of the Lord...even the soft hush that seems out of the blue or a just fleeting thought. All of these things will, no doubt, produce positive direction in your life.
Remember that a flood begins with just one drop!
"God's love for us floods our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." Romans 5:5
Thinking of Drops with a new perspective,
Join us in discovering new perspectives as we study the Gifts of Abiding in Christ during our April retreat. Won't you "drop" everything for the moment and "drop by" the information page and register?! We'd love to shower you with blessings and flood your heart!