And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. Hebrews 13:16 NIV
So as I began to ponder the word gift, I came up with an acronym.
- G - gifts are given! Freely! They don’t cost you anything. All one has to do is accept it when it is freely offered.
- I - gifts are intentional! They are thought about, planned, chosen, and given for a purpose. Even spontaneous gifts are really not that spontaneous. Thought and planning goes into every gift that is given!
- F - gifts are favored! How many times have you looked for the perfect gift. It has to be a favorite thing, a treasure, something fantastic, the perfect choice!
- T - gifts are timely! Sure there are those gifts that are given at Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, etc... But what about those gifts that are given just at the moment when you need a “pick me up” or when you aren’t expecting them at all. My family calls those kinds of gifts, “Twa-la” gifts.
Pondering this thought also helped me draw a parallel of God’s gifts to me. He gave freely, intentionally, His favored possession, and all were timely in my life! I simply needed to accept them. He is still giving me gifts!
For God is sheer beauty, all-generous in love, loyal always and ever. Ps. 100:5 The Message
Oh that I might know the Lord! Let me press on to know Him.
He will respond as surley as the arrival of dawn or the coming of rains in early spring. Hosea 6:3 (NLT)
Oh Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?
His gift of nature speaks deeper in my heart
as He reveals His mysteries to me.
Read: Wisdom from the Spirit
1 Corin. 2: 10-16 ESV
I especially like verse 10b "For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God."
As I think more about gift giving, I discover that the greatest joy comes when it has greatly cost me. Sometimes it’s been a huge amount of time, research, planning and even grueling physical work but it is worth everything when finally given. I’ve invested my all - concrete and abstract. 2 Corinthians 9:7 refers to hilarious giving! We all must give as we have decided in our heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
May my hands always be open ready to give;
for one cannot give or receive with a clenched hand!
Acts 20:35 In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”
God has given us many gifts, both abstract and concrete. He also has a lot to say about gift giving! I challenge you to search the scriptures for yourself during your own personal study.
He gave and gives:
- The gift of His Son and Eternal Life (John 3:16)
- Spiritual Gifts (1 Corinthians 12: 1-11) Given to esteem, edify, strengthen, feed, exhort, and encourage the body of believers. They are always given to exalt Christ.
- Other Gifts [serving, teaching, encouraging, giving, leading, showing mercy] (Rom.12:7-8
- Apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors/teachers (Eph. 4:11)
- Crowns ~ Incorruptible (1 Cor. 9:24,25) Rejoicing (1 Thess 2:19,20 Daniel 12:3)
Glory (1 Peter 5:1-4)
So during my "spiritual birthday" month, I am even more in awe! He has picked out the perfect gifts for me, they were intentional (before I was even born), and they are favorably selected for my personality! God's gifts to me make me unique. It is my prayer that I will return what He has graciously given me in order to bless others. After all, isn't that what He did when He gave His only son. We receive Jesus to share with others, the greatest gift ever given!
He has given many gifts to you, too! Today, stop and reflect on as many as you can and thank Him. I'd love for you to comment and share how God is gifting you! The "comment" icon is at the top of this blog.
Thankful for His Giving Heart,
- Instantly a box will appear for you to type in the Goofy letters as you see them and hit "submit." It will tell you that you need to go to your email inbox and click the link to verify/activate.
- Open your email. You should have mail from Google Feed Burner.
- Click the link given and immediately you will see a message pop up that says "Thanks for Subscribing..." YOU ARE DONE!!!
We'd also like to hear from you, how God is blessing your life through RESTORE Ministries, and how we can pray for you. Please fill out "Contact Us" in the menu bar.